Head of the Discovery team (m/f/d)
ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab
We are looking for a dynamic, goal-oriented, and experienced Innovation and tech “Geek” with proven prior experience in handling the initial phase of new digital products and services development, including proven experience with the development of new mobility services (e.g. based on the shared economy, multimodal solutions, data-driven projects, etc.).
The Head of Discovery team is the mature manager ideally with proven experience from both start-up and corporate worlds, with passion for new technologies and innovative solutions. He knows how to use methodologies like Design Thinking and is aware of the latest trends and technologies relevant to the automotive industry.
As the Head of Discovery team, you will be in charge of the lean Discovery team. Discovery team is responsible for managing the entire project initiation phase of new projects as well as leading the project through the initial MVP stage. Responsibilities of Discovery team also include global tech. scouting assignments in close cooperation with our subsidiaries in Israel, China, and newly India.
If you are looking for a career with the opportunity to shape the mobility of the future and work with world-leading automotive tech start-ups, this is a position for you.
What you’ll do
- Global scouting in line with the company strategy and priorities, in close cooperation with the subsidiaries in Israel, China and India, and other VW Group Innovation entities
- Responsible for keeping ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab at the forefront of new trends and developments on the global markets in the Mobility & Automotive areas.
- Responsible for keeping a continuous dialogue and initiating new cooperation and projects with ŠKODA AUTO counterparts (i.e. Strategy and Business units teams) and internal ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab stakeholders (i.e. PMO)
- Building a network of external global partners and technology community in order to identify new projects and potential partnerships in order to deliver new solutions faster. Cooperation with international accelerators, incubators, Hubs/Innovation labs/ and Venture capital funds.
- Responsible for leading the lean Discovery team to successfully identifying and realizing opportunities in:
- New project initiation (guided by the Discovery Roadmap)
- Features/functionality to be implemented in on-going projects (Project support)
- New start-up PoC cooperation with ŠKODA AUTO or ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab stakeholders (Scouting)
- Responsible for structuring the Discovery team in a quarterly working rhythm where work delivery and scope of each team member is clear.
- Responsible for keeping an agile and dynamic working environment in the Discovery team, encouraging team members to take initiatives and develop their own ideas as well as professional skills.
- Responsible for the fulfillment of KPIs of the Discovery team in terms of quantity (number of Discovery Deliveries/quarter) as well as Quality (Discovery Delivery scores evaluated by delivery stakeholders).
- Responsible for maintaining and improving cooperation between all ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab offices in Czech Republic, China, India, and Israel, and all relevant VW innovation platforms and digital labs (synergies, efficiency, and consistency).
- Responsible for regular reporting of Discovery activities to CEO, COO, and the wider ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab team.
- Responsible for leading Design Sprints or other creative processes for solving problems or identifying opportunities for new projects or on-going ones.
What you’ll need
- At least 5 years of proven working experience in a leading position with prior experience in innovations in a dynamic high-growth environment of a larger corporation company,or an international tech startup, or a venture building company/design studio
- T-shaped skillset with ability to lead idea development process from need finding to launch
- Design Thinking and Lean Startup methodology expert able to run workshops and willing to do field research
- Entrepreneurial hustle and proven self-starter with owner’s mentality; some entrepreneurial experience would be a plus
- Business acumen and data-driven decision mentality and sound business judgment through strong analytical thinking
- Team leadership
- Adaptability and autonomy
- Strong storyteller able to pitch developed ideas for further development and to secure resources from the senior management
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken) are required to achieve cooperation, to negotiate and reach agreement with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience/knowledge of project management methodologies would be a plus
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Fluent English is required, Czech and German is a plus
- Master of Engineering OR Business Degree or equivalent professional qualifications
- Be passionate about mobility services and new technologies
- Experience in the sharing economy or transport industry will be a great plus